Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, has reacted to the explosion that leads to the destruction of hundreds of houses ar Eleyowo, Akure, along Owo-Akure highway.
Infoxclusive has reported earlier that there in the early hours of Saturday, over a hundred buildings were destroyed due to an explosion that rocked Ondo state. The explosion happened around 1 am early Saturday morning.
According to the resident, there was a terrifying loud band when everyone was already asleep.
While reacting to the explosion, the Governor said the security chiefs have briefed him on the situation report, and they are still working to ascertain if any casualties were recorded.
He said the explosion happened due to the fault of a convoy transporting explosives to a storage facility along the Akure Owo Road to a neighboring state.
Tweeting from his twitter handle, “Security personnel and other individuals transporting the ordinances noticed smoke from the vehicle. After several attempts to extinguish the resulting fire failed, the vehicle and its consignment ignited, causing a massive explosion that was felt in Akure and its environs.
“Presently, efforts are being made to ascertain if there are casualties. Following my visit to the scene, I have directed that the area be cordoned off to allow the explosive ordinance department/bomb squad to extricate the vehicle buried underground because.
“It is unclear if there are still explosives that are yet to be detonated. Everything is under control, and I will be updating the public on any new developments.
“We understand that this is taking place amidst a global crisis. We ask that everyone continues to stay calm, stay safe, and continue to #TakeResponsibility in this #COVID19Nigeria fight.”